zaterdag 25 mei 2019

The Fly On the Wall Routine: the story behind the Songs


So! 2019, again, a whole year of exploring, writing, playing, recording, mixing 12 new songs. I must have a forbidden agenda in my head somewhere, because the workflow is- maybe predictably- the same everytime. For 40 years I've been exploring my inner creativity. It's like an hypnotic act of fate. I don't think, I do. It's my life in songs. I do think, just right now, after the whole process is over.
How can you describe this album?
The "fly on the wall" is a recognisable person, I guess. The observer, noticing, while watching a great scheme of things passing him/her by. Me? Sure....
For the sequence, the following consequential pattern arose: after an energetic song, a more relaxed one followed... et voila. Also, this album is divided in 2 parts: the first 6 songs each have a more free, stressless atmosphere, after "Kick Together", you'll find the more direct, social concience (serious) songs. Headphones ready?

01.Fly Talk
This was the breaktrough to start a new album. Recognise the fly on the wall type? Guess I'm one of those who kinda look, observe and take notice. This song I happened upon quickly, recorded in a flash. Funky flowing groove, mysterious in character with lots of chopping in between. Before this tune, I had a lot of sketches, motives and melodies for arrangements and other song-ideas and one of them became the instrumental song 12, sort of a coda. Fly talk: deep talk, no chicken talk.

02.Stuck
Laid back, but funky, jazzy Steely Dan-esque hence the chord progression, that's what I bring here. I never got stuck though.

03.Behave
Hypnotic, afro syncopic patterns. I had a lot of fun creating melodies and arrangements on this one. I created piano motifs that changed the vocals I first came up with.That's the way I work a lot: I loop a verse and play along with a guitar or piano to bring another colour to it.
It's all very free and playful, like a kid jumping on a trampoline. Behave!

04.Say The Word
Written on acoustics. let my fingers touch some patterns on piano et voila! Latin groove with a melodic popsong above it. To describe the shape I was in. Say it!

05.Treason
Zappa again? I had fun! Ha, a "Trump" song I hear you say. Triumph! Well, that's too obvious, but that's goovy man. Traitors are everywhere, look in trhe mirror. This took a long time to squeeze out (a lot of tiny little details you don't want to know about), I almost forgot about it.

06.The Vanished Vaudeville
Instrumental shuffle. Just a little dittie I played on my acoustic. Melody on a theramin-like synth. It all went like a flying circus! I had this laying on a shelve for a while, it just happened to fit in now.

07.Kick Together
Kick it! Funky groove. Just dance, freak out!Then a little variation in 10cc (circa 1974) mode in the middle of the song.

08.Not Today
Sort of a ballad with a lyric to express "I'm only human". Still R&B soulgroovy, but basically in a singer-songwriter vain.

09.The Gloves Are Off
Funk with the gloves off. I can get pissed off with moneymakers yes. Not only bankers. The way the worlds rears its ugly head, when it's all show, no tell. All done in the name of funk with a P.

10.Do Your Job
Another one for the hardworking little guys and girls out there. Face the jerk! Laidback, latinesque motives always seem to creep up in my songs.

11.U Know That Now
Slow funky and melodic stuff. Lyrics are about the feasibility of a bucket list.

12.The Fly Off The Wall Routine
Instrumental based on several ideas. "Fly Talk" is the vocal version, the instrumental parts are leftovers put together. They fit! The slow second part I added later. Liked the "concept" method there!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten